Monday, September 20, 2010

Final Images Assignment 1





Small Aperture- Illusion
This photo was taken with the prompt 'Illusion' in mind. Mirrors can be used to distort and magnify an object, make them appear closer or further away, and even reverse messages. In this image, a small necklace mirror was taken with a small aperture to slightly blur the pop can it is reflecting. I wanted to show how the aperture can make the mirror sharp, yet blur the object reflected on it because it is technically further away. I also increased the blackness in the photo to differentiate the different tones of the pop can. Lastly, the mirror is positioned off center and tilted to leave an emptiness in the background and give a sense of suspension or tension to the mirror.




Context: I think this photo can be seen as fitting in with the works of surreal artists. I love surreal art and how it plays with the imagination and illusions. This makes the photo about psychological issues in that it allows the mind to be interactive and try to make sense of the scene in the mirror along with the odd angle and the comparison in size of the pop can to the mirror.
Interpretation: Others interpreted my image as sending an abstract message.
Evaluation: What's working in the picture is the high contrast between the dark background and the light carpet. Also, the details in the mirror are perfectly emphasized with simpleness of everything else. I would like to figure out how to make the image in the mirror slightly blurred to the point where it appears like it was just imagined in the mirror and isn't really there.
Extension: I would really like to try something like this with the reflection of water and the darkness that happens under a bridge.
Slow Shutter Speed- Light
In the night, nothing is more fascinating than the glow of light against a dark background, whether it is stars, colorful building lights, or car headlights. In this image I captured a car as it passed and used a slow shutter speed. The resulting effect was a streak of light that emphasized the movement of the car. Since my subject was about light, I wanted the lights of the street and car to be the brightest, and adjusted the blacks accordingly.
Context: This photo relates to the photographers that capture city themed photos. I loved when they streak or blur the lights and it brings to memory clubs and nightlife. Mine is a bit different in that it doesn't actually show what is causing the movement. I'd like to think it's about social issues and the beautiful congestion of campus nights.

Interpretation: Others interpreted the image as unique.
Evaluation: What's working in the picture is the straight movement of light being vividly shown. I probably would have gotten better results with a tripod.
Extension: I would like to do an entire street full of car blurs. I also think it would be fun to maybe capture the lights of an airplane in the sky or something larger casting light.

Midday Light- Alter Ego
I took this picture in midday light. I thought it would be interesting to take a photo of the shadows the light made for the 'alter-ego' prompt. I wanted the shadows to appear long and stretched as if they were larger than normal, so I took the picture at a diagonal angle instead of straight up and down. I used high contrast between the lit areas and the shadows to emphasize the shapes made. Both the angle and the contrast support the idea that shadows are the alter egos of people and objects, which is wanted I wanted to portray.
Context: I think this work can be compared to photographers that play with light to create shadow on figures that end up being the focal point or the part of the photo that makes it dramatically interesting. This photo is an alteration in that it is all shadow. This brings to mind social issues of people and their shadows. You don't really pay attention to your own shadow although it usually is around wherever you go, like a companion.

Interpretation: Others saw my picture as a nice abstract piece.
Evaluation: What's working for this picture is the high contrast to better show the silhouettes.
Extension: I would love to create a dark scene with many distorted and blended shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment