Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Final Images

The Crying Child?

Composition: I wanted to get as close to Anthony's face as possible so that the background could frame his head. Usually when I see pictures of sadness, the person's face is the majority of the picture, so I wanted to copy that look. I also thought that the darkness inside of his hood would give a darker tone as well.
Concept: My image was about the illusion of pictures and what you think they are about. I wanted Anthony to look distraught so that you would want to comfort him. He was, however, faking. The piece supports my concept because in photos, to know emotion, you look for creases at the eyes and mouth. The expression was perfect for sadness in that his eyes were turned down and his mouth contained no hint of a smile.
Method: This was a spur-of-the-moment image. Anthony told me he can fake crying and the image popped into my head. I took many of his faking pictures.
Motivations: My goal was to capture a perfect illusion of something that wasn't happening. I want to give the illusion of a story when there wasn't one.
Context: I think this relates to many other photographers. Not every model that is smiling is happy. Alot of expressions are used for the beauty, or to make a point. I believe my photo does this as well. This relates to social issues about how photos may not be exactly what they seem or can be compared to the controversy of retouching photos to make it not as real as it may seem.
Interpretation: Others interpret my image as something is wrong with the boy.
Evaluation: Some thought that I should white out the background. Another liked the floating head image.
Extension: I could make a series of kid's emotions, and others like the idea of keeping the 'floating head.'



The Laughing Child
Composition: This composition was an accident. I thought Anthony's laugh was beautiful after he had been pretending to be sad. My mother walked into the shot and I decided to make it work.
Concept: My image is supposed to be the next step in the scene above. It goes with the concept of photos not appearing to be what they are. He was laughing right after being supposedly sad. It also appears to be some interaction between the figures when in fact there was not.
Method: While I was taking Anthony laughing, my mother walked in the shot, but I got his face perfectly before she walked completely through. I thought it looked very unique, so I kept it.
Motivation: My goal was to create the next 'scene' in the concept of images not being what they appear.
Context: I think this is a candid photo that can be related to many photographers including amateurs that are only taking for Facebook. The main difference is that I intentional did this as an artwork where as others are done to just post. This goes with psychological issues as candid photos elicit a more natural response.
Interpretation: Others interpreted the image as funny, happy, and that the other figure just told a joke.
Evaluation: Others would like to see more contrast in the grass by use of more blacks.
Extension: Many said that I could do a series of candid shots of a family at a picnic.



Carmen In Motion
Composition: I wanted to show motion in this picture. I also wanted the picture to be sharp on the subject where the hair will be greatly seen, but blurred in the background.
Concept: I think my image is about a child having fun. She was clearly enjoying herself and I wanted to capture the emotion.
Method: I wanted to capture this photo because I thought the motion would be perfect. I move my camera a little with her to get the blurred background.
Motivation: My goal was to portray emotion in motion. Not every time do you capture a child's smile on a bike.
Context: I think this photo also relates to candid photography, but I decided to capture the motion of the subject as well. This is also more psychological as brings to mind happy memories.
Interpretation: Others interpreted the image as Carmen being on a swing. They thought it was candid and natural.

Evaluation: Others liked the sharpness and composition. The hood should have more detail.

Extension: I could do children on swings or doing other things that require motion.





Diva Debut
Composition: This composition is cropped. I wanted to zoom in on the subject and leave her balanced on the left side of the photo.
Concept: I wanted to show a sexy femininity, but also give a dark emotion.
Method: I took advantage of lighting to cast a shadow on the face. I also wanted extreme sharpness of the hair and the highlights in the hair.
Motivation: My goal was to create an image that show a diva side to what is really a very shy girl.
Context: I think this photo more relates to photographers that take photo shoots for magazines and advertisements. The main difference is that the actual pose is more mocking of these types of photos as it is a cliche pose that represents and outgoing, sexual nature. Social issues come to mind because I think the photo is a good example of what women are seen as when only evaluated with their body language.
Interpretation: Others thought of modeling and gender/ sexuality.
Evaluation: Others thought there should be less light, yet the light also works. There is also a mental thing about how there appears to be two backgrounds.
Extension: The series of images could play off of the two backgrounds and illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment